Thursday, December 4, 2008

"What can be the meaning of that emphatic exclamation?'' cried he [Mr. Bennet]. "Do you consider the forms of introduction, and the stress that is laid on them, as nonsense? I cannot quite agree with you there. What say you, Mary? For you are a young lady of deep reflection I know, and read great books, and make extracts.''

Mary wished to say something very sensible, but knew not how.

"While Mary is adjusting her ideas,'' he continued, ``let us return to Mr. Bingley."

"I am sick of Mr. Bingley,'' cried his wife.

"I am sorry to hear that; but why did not you tell me so before? If I had known as much this morning, I certainly would not have called on him. It is very unlucky; but as I have actually paid the visit, we cannot escape the acquaintance now.''

- Pride and Prejudice, Jane Austen

Mr. Bennet amuses me XD

After much importuning from his wife, Mr. Bennet gave the new neighbor, Mr. Bingley, a call in hopes of his wife that the man would return the visit; and by that, there may be chance for their daughters to be introduced to him. But Mr. Bennet did so without telling his wife, and he waited until she became upset and evinced displeasure over his lack of interest on a matter which she deemed crucial on their daughters’ future… Well, you all probably know the story, don’t you?

I was answering a meme on books at LJ, when I came upon the question "what's your favorite romance novel?" My mind went blank for a moment. I could only recall 2 notable book titles I've read under this genre: 'Jane Eyre' and 'Pride and Prejudice'. After much musing, I typed in the latter. It's not that I've read just these two, but, yes, I admit I've only read a few – which was partly my father’s fault. Yup, you heard me right. My Dad practically banned romance novels when I was younger (except classics), and I only managed to sneak in a few lent by my cousin. I read Pride and Prejudice in high school so, honestly, I only remember the gist of the story. But I'd happily put off reading 'the Idiot' so I can reread Austen's most famous novel. Plus, Mr. Darcy is Colin Firth **gigglefit... isn't that reason enough?** In fact, he played the role so well that Mark Darcy (in Bridget Jones's Diary) was practically created for him - a character which was undeniably patterned after Austen's Mr. Darcy. I skimmed through the first two chapters of the book yesterday, as I have only a vague memory of Austen's writing style now. I had not given much attention to Mr. Bennet before, but he seems to be an interesting character. He appears to be a fun daddy. (n_n)

-----

I'd love to read more romance novels. But it's quite scary to arbitrarily pick a book on my own **speaking from experience**. So, do you guys have any other good books in mind?

(but please, spare me from Twilight!... I'd rather not read that. If there's something I learned from the movie, that is to keep away from the book. And one 'twi-fan' is enough at home - my Dad *hahaha*. Yeah, he lifted the ban - and he most certainly should! I'm old enough to buy my own books now)


Okay, I need to run off - I heard there's ice cream at the pantry (it's Apple's birthday ^^). Bye!

0 comments:

 

Copyright 2010 . . . on a hazy morning mist . . ..

Theme by WordpressCenter.com.
Blogger Template by Beta Templates.