Monday, December 15, 2008

Excerpt from Boston Legal,
season 5 episode 12
:

Denny: Alan... I have more money than God, unless He timed the market. But I can't give it to you 'cause the government will take half with the gift tax. And I can't die and leave it to you 'cause of the estate tax - don't get me started. If you were my spouse, I could give it, I could leave it to you. What's mine is yours, and the government can't touch it.

Alan: Oh, for that matter, you could open a business Or start a foundation--

Denny: In which case, you can't use it for incidentals like travel, fishing. And the way you go after the government... They already audit you. They'll find a way to nail you for commingling or malfeasance or whatever. The cleanest, simplest, most efficient transfer of property... is marriage. Plus all those other reasons-- medical, spousal privilege... immunity.

Alan: (laughs) It's beyond ridiculous, even for us.

Denny: I've always wanted to remarry before I die.

Alan: Really? Why?

Denny: I just have. And like it or not... You're the man I love. Think of all the... uh, what do you call 'em, poor people?

Alan: Yes.

Denny: Think of all the poor people you can help. Allocating my wealth to them, not the... Iraq war. Or the... Wall street bailout. Take my hand, Alan. Take my money.

Alan: I always thought if I were to get married again, it would be for... love and romance.

Denny: You love me. Romance never lasts. Money can.

Alan: Okay, Denny. I will marry you.

Denny: Really?

Alan: Why not? (laughs) I suppose it had to come to this.

Denny: It'll be great.

Alan: (laughs) Yes, it will.

Denny: Oh, like jumping a shark.

Alan: Hey, how about we do it on the dock of Nimmo bay?

Denny: Perfect. A salmon in one hand --

Alan: me in the other. Let no man tear asunder.

Denny: This could be a television series.

Alan: On a new network --

Denny: One that cares.

Alan: Alan Shore and Denny Crane, husband and mad cow.


~~~
Monday. A grueling week bodes to start again. Bleh.

I watched Boston Legal 12 (title: Made in China) last weekend with my Dad and Hanna (I could not watch the live broadcast --who watches TV these days anyway). I was laughing so hard there were tears in my eyes. First there was the Chinese lot that would be taking over Crane, Poole, and Schmidt – who were welcomed by Denny firing his paint ball gun endlessly at them. Plus, the new name of the firm, it reeks of 'Made in China' all over it *it cracked me up*. And then there’s also Denny proposing to Alan. In my heart, all the decadence in Boston Legal is overshadowed by the characters’ sincerity and their genuine friendship. Impressive storylines. Or I must be too gullible… I don’t know. Even the carnal Denny Crane and his mad cow is just as lovable for his child-like honesty as Jerry Espenson and his funny quirks and timidity. And there’s no question when it comes to Alan Shore. I guess if I ever consider getting married, it would be to someone brilliant (like Alan) – that may be my weakness… Aiba Masaki being the exception *laughs*. Yes, someone brilliantly talented/artistic, if not brilliantly smart (well, I guess if we’re talking solely on brilliance, then I can count Aiba in for being brilliantly baka *chortles*). I hope season 5 would not be the last – or else, I would be very very sad... Unless they're planning to make a spin-off of Alan and Denny's married life. But that is simply crazy.

0 comments:

 

Copyright 2010 . . . on a hazy morning mist . . ..

Theme by WordpressCenter.com.
Blogger Template by Beta Templates.